If you’ve made pizza and want to reheat it then these are the best ways to reheat pizza restoring it to its hot, crispy, and delicious glory and avoiding turning your delicious leftovers into a soggy, unappetizing mess.
There’s nothing wrong with eating cold pizza, especially if you’d had a few drinks the night before, but if you want to make a meal of it then you want to do it the right way.
Method 1: The Skillet Stovetop Technique
Believe it or not, your humble skillet or frying pan is the secret weapon for reheating pizza. This method consistently achieves that crispy crust and melty cheese reminiscent of fresh pizza.
Here’s how to do it:
- Heat your skillet over medium heat.
- Place the pizza slice on the skillet and heat it for a couple of minutes.
- Add a few drops of water (preferably on the side, not directly on the pizza), then cover your skillet. The steam will help melt the cheese and restore the toppings’ freshness without making the crust soggy.
- Heat for another minute or so, until the cheese is melted and the bottom of the crust is crispy.
Method 2: The Oven Technique
Reheating your pizza in the oven is another popular method that can yield excellent results. Although it takes a little longer than other techniques, the result is worth it, especially for multiple slices.
Here’s the procedure:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).
- If you have a baking stone or cast-iron skillet, preheat that as well. Otherwise, a baking sheet will do.
- Once everything is heated, place the pizza on the baking stone, skillet, or baking sheet, and bake for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and the crust is crispy.
Method 3: The Toaster Oven Technique
The toaster oven is a great compromise between the skillet and the oven. It’s quicker than the oven and can give better results than the skillet, especially if your toaster oven has a “pizza” or “reheat” setting.
Here’s how to use it:
- Preheat your toaster oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).
- Place your pizza slice on the oven rack or on a toaster oven pan.
- Heat the pizza for about 5-10 minutes, checking occasionally. The pizza is ready when the cheese is bubbling and the crust is crispy.
Method 4: The Air Fryer Technique
An air fryer is a great way to reheat pizza, providing a crispy crust and perfectly melted cheese. It’s speedy and efficient, although not everyone might have one at home.
Here’s the procedure:
- Preheat your air fryer to 350-375 degrees Fahrenheit (175-190 degrees Celsius).
- Place the pizza slice in the air fryer basket, making sure not to overlap if you’re doing more than one.
- Reheat for about 3-4 minutes. Check the pizza to ensure it’s heated to your liking.
Reheating Pizza: What Not to Do
Despite the prevalence of microwaves, they’re at the bottom of the list for reheating pizza. Microwaves heat food unevenly, which usually results in a soggy pizza slice which hardens when it cools, along with overcooked toppings, and cheese that’s way too hot.