Are you thinking about getting a pizza oven for your home? If so, you may be wondering if it’s worth the investment or the time to build one yourself or perhaps buying a portable pizza oven you can pack away.
In this article, we’ll explore the pros and cons of owning a pizza oven to help you decide if it’s the right choice for you.
Background: I built my own pizza oven
In 2016 I took it upon myself to build my own traditional wood-fired brick pizza oven at my home. I scoured forums, watched youtube videos, and over some weekends and evenings I ended up with something I’m very proud of.
It’s a great conversation piece, makes amazing pizzas, and really is a focal point when I’ve held pizza parties at my house.
My main issue is that I feel that it’s only really worth firing up the oven if there’s a large enough group of people to make it worthwhile. For the effort of heating this large oven up, it feels a waste to only cook a couple of pizza’s and I’d rather be pumping out dozens of pizzas and then using the residual heat to cook a variety of other dishes.
What about portable pizza ovens?
Brands such as Gozney or Ooni have gained popularity in recent years and whilst they’re not as traditional as a brick oven they do make delicious homemade pizza an option for many who don’t have the space or resources for a wood-fired oven.
The ovens are light weight, stainless steel units, intended for use on a table-top or countertop. They’re fired with wood pellets or gas which means they’re very efficient, quick to heat up, and to be honest, make very nice pizza.
If you just want to make quick pizza at the drop of a hat, or have limited space, then these really are a good option and I’d recommend them to anyone simply for the convenience.
The benefits of a specialized pizza oven
First, let’s look at the benefits of owning a pizza oven. If you love pizza and enjoy cooking, a pizza oven can be a great addition to your home, and your domestic oven in your kitchen simple can’t replicate it. Here are a few reasons why:
- Speed: A pizza oven can cook a pizza much faster than a conventional oven. This is because the high heat of a pizza oven allows the pizza to cook evenly and quickly, producing a perfectly crisp crust and perfectly melted cheese.
- Quality: A pizza oven produces a much higher quality pizza than a conventional oven. The high heat of a pizza oven allows the crust to get crispy and browned, while the toppings cook perfectly. This results in a pizza with a perfectly balanced flavor and texture.
- Authenticity: If you’re a fan of authentic Italian pizza, a pizza oven is a must-have. Authentic Italian pizzerias use wood-fired ovens, which produce a unique flavor and texture that can’t be achieved in a conventional oven. With a pizza oven, you can replicate this authentic flavor and texture at home.
- Fun: Cooking with a pizza oven can be a fun and rewarding experience. There’s something special about cooking a pizza in a wood-fired oven, and the process of making a pizza from scratch can be very satisfying.
Now, let’s consider some of the drawbacks of owning a pizza oven.
- Cost: One of the main downsides of owning a pizza oven is the cost. A brick wood-fired pizza ovens can be quite expensive and although portable ovens are much cheaper there is still some extra cost rather than just ordering a delivery pizza!
- Space: A brick pizza oven is quite large, so you’ll need to have enough space to accommodate one. Portable pizza ovens are smaller and easier to store.
- Limited use: Pizza ovens are used outside, so you are generally limited by the weather. Yes, you can go out in the snow, but ovens will take longer to heat up, may need more fuel to keep up that temperature, and you’ll probably still get cold toes!
Is a pizza oven worth it?
So, is a pizza oven worth it? Think about whether you’re talking about a brick oven or a portable oven.
If it’s a brick pizza oven then you will need the space, the finances, and the technical know-how to build one. If you’re fine with that then it’s a great investment that really adds something special to your outdoor space.
If you’re on a tight budget or don’t have the space then portable pizza ovens are a great option and there are some great deals to be had. Definitely do this if you can’t build your own.
Amazon Best Sellers
Have a look at some of the current best sellers on Amazon to get an idea of what’s out there.
- Excellent Insulation Effect: This portable pizza oven heats quickly, and the high-quality 304 stainless steel structure and internal insulation cotton ensure better temperature retention. Cordierite can absorb water and keep the crispy taste around the pizza.
- Ooni’s multi-fuel pizza oven for outdoor cooking cooks stone-baked pizza in any outdoor space in just 60 seconds.
- MULTI USE: Grill and smoker oven suitable for cooking homemade artisan pizza, fish, meat, vegetables, bread and much more
- Great Food – Ideal for cooking/smoking pizza, fish, meat, vegetables and much more, put the fun into cooking a variety of foods, outside!
- Make fresh, wood-fired stone baked pizza at home and dine outside with this Salter Professional 12” back garden wood pellet pizza oven.